Judge Alison Nathan was confirmed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on March 23, 2022.
- Previously, Judge Nathan served on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York since 2011.
- From 2009 to 2010, Judge Alison Nathan served as a special assistant to President Barack Obama and as Associate White House Counsel. While in the White House, her purview included working to repeal the U.S. military’s Don’t Ask Don’t Tell policy.
- From 2010 to 2011, Judge Nathan served as Special Counsel to the Solicitor General of New York, where she argued cases in state and federal courts and oversaw a team of Assistant Solicitors General.
- Upon confirmation, Judge Nathan became the second openly LGBTQ woman judge to serve on a U.S. Court of Appeals.
- Judge Nathan received her B.A. from Cornell University in 1994 and her J.D. from Cornell Law School in 2000. She clerked for Judge Betty Fletcher of the Ninth Circuit and Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens.